Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Kensley's Arrival

I can't believe Kensley is over a week old and I am just getting around to posting her story.  We just love her to pieces!
Last Saturday Matthew's mom came into town.  She knew I wasn't due for another week but with Matthew being almost non-existent as this semester of classes is very intense,  it was a great comfort to know that she was here if anything were to happen. Well the very next day, Sunday, I woke up and went about my day while having contractions.  I had been having real contractions for the last couple of weeks so these were nothing new but I was having having them more often than any other day before.  But I didn't think too much of it.  We had a great morning breakfast and then got ready to go to church. Right as we were getting ready to leave I started timing my contractions since I was having so many. They were about 15 minutes apart and a little stronger then I had ever had.  But the doctor said not to come in unless they were about 5 minutes apart so I decided to go to church anyway.  During the meetings, I realized that they were getting stronger and stronger but still about 15 minutes apart.  It was then that I realized that this little girl was probably on her way. We debated about leaving church and going to the hospital but I didn't want to be turned away for false labor since they were still 15 minutes apart so we stayed at church.  But by staying, I was really pacing the hallways, drinking water and having to stop every time I had a contraction.  Then we came home, had dinner (I made sure to eat since they never let you eat anything in the hospital while in labor!) and then Matthew and I packed up and headed for the hospital.  I am so glad my mother in law was already here and ready to take care of Austin. It was such perfect timing!

At the hospital, they told me I was already dilated to a 7! I was shocked.  I'm so glad those contraction were doing something!  I was admitted and very soon after given a blessed epidural.  Then I labored for a few hours until I was ready to push.  The nurse had me do a practice push but then said "Ok, stop! She's coming!"  The doctor came and in literally three pushes my sweet little girl had arrived.  The whole process was very smooth and calm compared to Austin.  With him, my water broke at home with little contractions, I was so shakey and nauseous the whole time and had some pre-eclampsia. With Kensley's I was very calm and collected and enjoyed the process a whole lot more!

First family picture of 4!




Coming home


She is so perfect! She weighed 7 lbs 9 oz and has a little bit of light hair.  Matthew's mom stayed in town for a week and took such good care of Austin while I was still in the hospital and even took night shifts with Kensley when we got home.  I am so glad she came when she did and so appreciate everything she did for us!

Austin is so sweet with her. He constantly loves to shower her with hugs and kisses.  Since I was in the hospital for a couple days with this tiny newborn, I felt like when I came home Austin had grown so much.  He just seems so big to me!  I guess you just forget how tiny newborns really are and how fast they grow.  Austin loves to help with anything involving Kensley and even loves to share his tiny cars with her!

Here are a few more pictures from Kensley's first week of life:




 

11 comments:

Leslie Elaine said...

Congrats!! I am glad things went so smoothly and quickly for you. Love seeing pictures of your sweet little girl.

Aubrey Jane said...

We are so happy that Kensley is here and that everything went so smoothly. I can't wait to meet her!

Anonymous said...

So sweet! I love that last picture with kensley sleeping on Matthew- so precious! That's the only way Addie would sleep long but dallin never liked sleeping in our arms, so it's sweet to remember how fun it was. I am glad you didn't have to push long- lucky you! And I can't believe you made it to a 7 without pain meds- super momma!! :) congrats!

Lindsee said...

How sweet!! Let Heather and I know when we can stop by and see her!! Glad everything went so well :)

Andrea said...

So thankful everything went so smoothly. Congrats!

Heather said...

Hooray for Kensley! I am glad you had a nice labor and delivery. She is just a cutie. I love Austin's face when he is holding her for the first time and I always love exhausted daddy sleeping baby moments. I have been thinking of you and need to com and meet the new lady. I will call/email you. :)

Ciera said...

Thanks for not labeling this as "Kensley's Birth Story." Much appreciated.

P&C Dickson said...

congratulations! She is so adorable! Glad everything went well!

Jenna said...

I love how she like sleeping in the boppy. SO cute!! Can't wait to meet her...someday!

An average mom named rachel said...

so precious. enjoy every minute cause i feel the 2nd child is growing up even faster than the first. love her name

jennyandskyler said...

Just found your blog and Kensley is Beautiful!! Congratulations! Our little girls have the same birthday, Nelly came that morning at 10:05! But I am so happy everything went well, can't wait to meet her! You look amazing!