Monday, February 28, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls

Last week was not so fun.  It was finals week for Matthew and so that made him pretty non-existent for the week and Austin was sick so I couldn't get out and do much.  There was lots of Mommy-Austin time at home. So I decided to try something different.
One thing Austin loves more than anything is to help in the kitchen. Whenever I start to cook something he immediately goes to get one of his play spoons and just begs me to pick him up so he can help.  So I decided to make a treat and to let me "help" me. I was in the mood for cinnamon rolls so thats what we made (don't worry, it was my day off of the wellness challenge!)
To say that he loved it was an understatement.  He concentrated so hard and did surprisingly well when I told him to do certain things.  But could I have picked a messier treat?  It took a lot of patience to not be bothered at all the sugar and cinnamon being sprinkled, um more like dumped onto the kitchen floor.  It took everything I had not to clean up messes and Austin was making them.
I couldn't get very good pictures as I had messy hands, trying to hold Austin on the stool so he wouldn't fall and trying to control how much cinnamon and sugar went flying everywhere all at the same time.





 I think Austin's favorite part was putting the cinnamon rolls into the pan as I cut them. It was really funny to watch though because he would just plop them anywhere, even right on top of another one. They turned out so yummy! I got the recipe here at one of my new favorite recipe sites.
This week is starting out so much better. Since Matthew has finished finals, this week is our spring break. So I see a lot more Daddy-Austin time in the very near future. :)

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Those pictures of him helping are so cute!! So you didn't say whether they turned out good or not? They look really yummy though!

Matthew and Shanna said...

Ok I added that they turned out way yummy!

Anonymous said...

haha cute pictures! I love how you said he just plopped them in the pan on top of each other- so funny! They certainly were yummy, thanks for sharing! Man, Austin is such a good helper :)

Leslie Elaine said...

So since I read this when you posted it a few weeks ago I have been wanting cinnamon rolls!