Monday, September 22, 2014

Milestones

Both my kids have reached a big milestone recently.

First, Austin started kindergarten!  

He is a very young 5 year old and we debated holding him back another year but in the end decided to have him start this year.  I still have mixed feelings about it but I'm sure that is partly due to it being my oldest going off to school. We were both a ball of nerves that first day but he walked right in.  He did look back though and waved goodbye!
Silly faces. Kensley didn't want to miss out on first day of school pictures

 Everything went great that first day.  Then the second day...
On the first day I took him to school and picked him up from school but starting the second day he rides the bus.  Putting my 5 year old on a big bus and watching it drive away was a little gut wrenching for me that first day but i knew it would be fine.  Well I started walking to the bus stop from our house to pick him up and saw all the kids already walking home.  I had missed the bus.  It came 10 minutes early!  So i asked the other kids if they had seen Austin and no one had.  AHH! I didn't know if he was still on the bus, or maybe got on the wrong bus, or maybe got off at the wrong stop.  No idea.
I called the school and they said there were no students left at the school.  I called the bus transportation and they got in contact with all the bus drivers and they said all the buses were now empty. WHAT?!  Then where is my son?!  I called the police and explained the situation. They told me to stay home and sent an officer to my house.  They had to search the house first since 98% of the time a missing child is reported they are hiding in the house somewhere.  I assured them he was not home.  Then they got in contact with the school and the bus transportation and could confirm that he got on the right bus to come home. So they put a police officer at every stop the bus made and started searching.
Finally an officer radioed in that they had him  He apparently stayed on the bus the whole time and the driver didn't see him.  The driver looked up his stop, drove back and dropped him off at the correct stop.  An officer saw him get dropped off and drove him home.
It was the scariest 40 minutes of my life not knowing where my son was.  Austin just thought it was pretty cool that he got to drive home in a police car.
Now I am at that bus stop every day super early!

Kensley's milestone is that she is now potty-trained!


I was not looking forward to this part of parenting. We were not sure how it was going to go but she has far exceeded my expectations.  She has been doing great!  The first two days she had no idea what was going on and was pretty upset that her whole world was just turned upside down. But with princess panties, a sticker chart and gummy bears we are doing pretty good. She looks so grown up in underwear!  

Yay for kids doing awesome things!

3 comments:

Jesica and Chris Fowler said...

Oh my goodness Shanna... that bus experience is TERRIFYING!!! I'm so sorry you went through that but am so glad he was safe!!! What a blessing! I felt sick just reading that story! Glad he is liking Kindergarten though and congrats on the potty training!!!

Jesica

Nancy said...

Love the toilet picture!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Austin got lost on the first day of school- that's gotta be the scariest thing EVER! Glad he's safe and sound and that your kids are doing well :) It was nice to talk to you last week!