Friday, August 09, 2013

Road Trip

I am happy to report that I successfully completed a road trip with the kids by myself!  I feel pretty awesome about it.  Matthew is on the East Coast all summer but had a conference in Las Vegas at the end of July.  Since we are about 6 hours away, I felt like we were too close to not do anything about it. I was very scared about being by myself with kids needing things and I've never driven that far by myself.  I mean I have been on lots of road trip but I never really do much driving.

But with about 4 stops each way we made it happen.  It was only 6 hours of driving but with all the stops we made each trip took all day long.  I also underestimated how long packing and unpacking the car can take by yourself.  (That's another part of road trips I am usually not involved in)  Of course we had good and bad moments in the car.  Actually Austin did so good. He was such a trooper and helped out a lot.  Kensley on the other hand had a tough time. I would hand her something and about 10 seconds later she would drop it and want it back.  Not much I could do about that.  She also has had some bad diaper rash and sitting on it that long wasn't too comfortable for her either.  The best part of the drive was stopping both ways in St. George to visit my friend Emily.  She fed us lunch and our kids played and we were able to chat and catch up. I think we stayed a couple of hours both times. I'm so sad we didn't get a picture!

I am so glad we went.  The kids and I LOVED seeing Matthew and it felt so nice to spend time as a family. We didn't really do that much but just soaked in our time with Matthew. The kids hadn't seen their dad in almost 2 months.



For two of the days, Matthew had to attend his conference so the kids and I hung out at the hotel and found some things to do. We filled our time with visiting a splash pad, playing some miniature golf at the hotel, swimming, hanging out and building forts with hotel blankets.






I'm so glad I decided to brave the trip!  



3 comments:

Kiya said...

We miss you guys!! Sailor brings up "playing with Austin" from time to time but then she reminds herself that "oh, no, Austin is at his grandma's house..." :)

Sounds like you guys are staying busy!! Hopefully we will see you all in May :)

Anonymous said...

So cute! Kensley is totally in that "toddler phase"- she just looks so grown already! I am impressed you found so many fun things to do in two days time! I also cant believe you did the entire road trip by yourself! You are one brave woman!! Go you!! Glad you got to visit Matthew, looks like the kids loved seeing their dad :-)

All Fun Family said...

I'm impressed you made such a long trip with kids by yourself! I'm glad it turned out alright. That must be so hard to have Matthew gone so long. Being the only parent at home is so exhausting. What do you do to get through it?