Sunday, February 17, 2013

January

For the whole month of January, Matthew was in Washington doing a podiatry rotation. So with me and the kids being in Texas for New Years, we decided to stay awhile.  I am not a fan of being a single parent so staying with my family was a great distraction.  Austin loved having new and different toys to play with, Kensley mastered going up and down the stairs, and I got to hang out with my parents and little sister.  We were able to chat on facetime with Matthew most nights.  I really didn't take that many pictures, but really we mostly played and enjoyed our time with family.  My parents were so nice to help out when I needed it.

A couple of days it warmed up enough to go and jump on the trampoline


 If that wasn't fun enough, we then got to fly to Kansas to spend some time with Jenna and her family. We, of course, had a great time and the cousins had a blast.


 Making sugar cookies!



 Practicing some baseball with Jenna

Then after a month of being gone we finally came back home.  The process however was not a fun day.  Two flights with a layover in between and flying alone with two kids was not my favorite.  Kensley screamed and fussed the whole first flight and Austin had an accident on the airplane right as we were landing.  I had extra underwear on hand but no pants and he was wet to the knees. My only saving grace was that our layover was in Dallas and my dad planned on meeting us there to bring us some dinner.  Thank goodness for my dad. He saved the day.  He helped us get to our new terminal, got us dinner and found Austin some new pants at a Dallas Cowboys gift shop.   With two tired kids, I was dreading the next flight.  But luckily both kids fell asleep for most of the flight.  When we finally got home around midnight, Austin saw all his Christmas toys and decided that he needed to play with them right now!  

We still spent about 10 days or so without Matthew, but tried to keep busy and distracted.  We were all so happy to have our Daddy back!  The kids definitely missed him and Austin would ask almost every day when Daddy would be coming home.  I don't even want to think about this summer when he will be gone for 3 months straight but for now we are all glad to be together.


4 comments:

Angel said...

Those away rotations are no fun! Glad you were able to spend time with family though. I spent last summer with my family when Trevor had 2 months away in a row. It was fun and much better than dealing with the heat here in AZ by myself! Plus the grandparents always enjoy more time with the kiddos! :)

Leslie Elaine said...

I am glad you were able to spend so much time with family while Matthew was gone. Its too bad we weren't able to see him while he was in Seattle. Good luck with the 3 month rotation!

Heather said...

Oh man! I am so glad you were able to spend time with family! And 3 months this summer?! What is he doing?

Phil leaves this coming weekend for 6 weeks and then will be home for 2 weeks and then off again for 4 weeks. NOT looking forward to it!

All Fun Family said...

That must have been hard! I'm glad you didn't have to spend that month alone. Did Matthew have a good experience?