Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back to School

I have to say that Matthew and I have had a pretty good summer! I mean I have a job that literally allows me not to work at all between and June and the middle of August. You can't beat that right? We were able to go visit both our families, go on a cruise and to a family reunion. I feel like we have been living on vacation for a couple months. It has been really nice to spend time with so much family and with each other. Well it's back to real life. Matthew is starting his Masters program in BioChemistry at BYU in a couple of weeks and I start teaching school tomorrow! Today was Meet Your Teacher at my school and it was so fun to see all these students ready to come back to school and excited to be in your class! It's always nice to hear a parent say that they requested you as a teacher for their child. I am so glad I get to teach again at the same school and the same grade level as last year. I also got an upgrade. Instead of being in a portable I get a real classroom! I have had so much fun being able to organize and decorate my new room (pictures are coming). Now that I have taught one year I feel more prepared and confident to do it again. There are so many things that I am excited to improve on and to do better at. For some reason the subjects I like teaching the best are math and science which is really ironic to me because those were the same subjects I struggled with in school. The only reason I can guess is maybe it is because I can relate to having a hard time with these two and therefore I try to teach it in a variety of ways so everyone has a chance to understand it. I don't know but I really enjoy the curriculm I teach. I get to teach about the solar system, outer space, light and sound waves, microoganisms (proabably my least favorite), pre-algebra, fractions, geometry and more. We really start delving into some deep subjects. Not very many people have a job where they can start over and improve every year but I am glad that I do.

Conversation today with a kindergarden teacher :
She came up to me in the hall and told me "I had a kindergardner come meet me today and she had her older brother with her who is in 6th grade. I asked the boy what new teacher did he have this year and he says, 'Oh I don't know her name but she is the hot one.'
Turns out I found his name on my roll. Oh great...

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my gosh! I laughed so hard at that story! I feel so honored to be friends with "the hot one"! ;-) I can't wait to see pics of your new non-portable classroom. Good luck with this year. I'm excited for you!

Jenna said...

I want to see pictures and
I want to go shopping.......(get it..hahahahahha!)